What is glutathione?
Glutathione is the master antioxidant and detoxifier of every cell in your body. It is a substance produced naturally by the liver. It is also found in fruits, vegetables, and meats. Glutathione is a tripeptide composed of three amino acids- cysteine, glutaminic acid and glycine. It prevents cellular damage caused by free radicals and peroxides. Some of its antioxidant functions:
• Maintaining vitamins C and E in their reduced, active forms
• Tightly regulating the production of hydrogen peroxide
• Neutralizing lipid peroxides-breakdown products of polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) found in our cell membranes
• Assisting in making drugs and other toxic chemicals more water-soluble for easier excretion
• Treating cataracts and glaucoma and preventing aging,
• Treating or preventing alcoholism, asthma, cancer, heart disease(atherosclerosis and high cholesterol), hepatitis, liver disease, diseases that weaken the body’s defense system
• Glutathione is also used for maintaining the body’s defense system (immune system) and fighting metal and drug poisoning.